Sunday, August 12, 2007

Philadelphia

We had a great time in Phila- delphia, despite the 100 degree weather and the really miserable humidity. We went to Philly to see King Tut. The Franklin Institute had a lot of really nice pieces on display. I was a little disappointed that more pieces weren't from Tutankhamun's tomb (about 20% were King Tut vs. other pharaohs) but it was still great to see.

We also explored the historic mile. We went to the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross's house, the Christ Church, the Christ Church Burial Ground (to see Ben Franklin's grave), and then to City Tavern, rebuilt to its 1774 specifications. Britt tried George Washington's brew and I tried Thomas Jefferson's. Charlotte had some sweet potato biscuits from another recipe of Jefferson's (I think).

Britt had some buildings he wanted to see at the University of Penn- sylvania - a Khan and a Furness, so we spent a morning there. Charlotte and I explored the duck pond and gardens while Britt looked at architecture. We also explored the Reading Terminal Market, conveniently located to our hotel. They have some tasty food, including Bassett's Iced Cream and Rick's Philly Steaks (yes, with delicious melty Cheese Whiz).

Asides from the vast number of sweaty, smelly people (some of whom also felt the need to pee in the park) we had a great visit and look forward to our next big adventure!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home